Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Happy birthday to my mama!

Today is my mom's 95th birthday and I simply could NOT write this post without acknowledging her, her incredible spirit, her fortitude and her snarky, quick wit! 

She raised the five of us "kids" (we're all 60+) single handedly and on a teacher's salary - after my parent's divorced and without any financial support from my dad - and I rarely (if ever) heard her complain and  I've never heard her say a single negative word about my dad. All five of us married and had kids and I never heard her say a judgmental thing about our parenting styles or life choices but rather was always there to support, lend money and love us. 

She's slowed down, has moved into a retirement home and uses a wheelchair now but until last April she lived alone in the house she purchased in 1973! The retirement home was never part of her plans (wanted to be taken out of her little house feet first) but with her usual realistic approach to life and a lifetime of turning lemons into lemonade - she's settled in and can finish a word search or crossword puzzle faster than anyone I know! Ask her to make as many words as she can using the letters from a single word (like "environmental") and you'll run out of whiteboard before she's finished (she had over 100 and the other residents and staff were cheering her on!).

Mom and I FaceTimed my sister who lives in the Champaign/Urbana area last week and were discussing the indignities of aging and decided we should design pants that would disguise any minor "accidents" and Mom - immediately, without missing a beat - said we could call them "piddle pushers" and then the three of us laughed and laughed. Man - that lady still has it! 

So to my amazing, smart, witty, beautiful mother who I love fiercely - happy birthday! 

Mom right around Christmas


me, my husband and my mom last fall


me and my mom when she was still in her house

Thank you for indulging me! Moving one - let's take a look at some of our current inventory at our Carol Stream store! 





in all my years working at Jubilee Furniture (17+) this is the first time I've seen a raised bed like this one - and it's very cool! Two twin size beds are raised 31" from the floor to the underside of the bed - so not tons of room but still a nice space! We're selling the white wooden beds for $195. 
Two USED twin mattresses - one is priced $145 and the other $115



this is truly a lofted bed - twin size and priced $70. Used twin size IKEA mattress is $55. Tucked underneath is a wonderful gray futon that looks to be in excellent condition and priced $115





this is a stunning - pristine condition - Room & Board sofa priced $995. 
I think it's this Jasper one - which retails for $1,999!






this three piece Room & Board sectional - shows some wear (and I noticed a small issue 
with one back corner - last photo) but overall in good condition and priced $475




sofa/chaise combo from West Elm that's in very good condition - the back cushions are 
a bit squished (but not terrible) - priced $325




it's interesting that if you add legs to a cubby - it really elevates it! Measures: 15 1/2" by 57 1/2" and stands 33" tall. I noted one scratch (last photo) but otherwise a solid piece! Priced $85





Lazboy side chair - not sure what the reddish color is on each side of the back cushion - 
not as noticeable in person - priced $85








this two piece leather sectional is so comfortable and I absolutely LOVE it! Yes, there's some wear but I think it adds to the beauty! Priced $625. The large round ottoman doesn't look like it goes with the sectional in my photos - but it actually does and it's in excellent condition and priced $165. And my photo with my legs/shoes is proof I tested the two of them and totally approve! Haha! 





lovely painted, lighted small secretary for $125






we'll wrap up with another sectional - this time by Temple - and it separates into two pieces 
and is in very good condition and priced $395

For those of you too young to understand - PIDDLE pushers references PEDAL pushers. Stick with me because you never know what you might learn, dear reader! Haha!